Friday, June 5, 2009

don't be afraid of the censor button

I am SO sick of the stupid song by Pitbull or whoever that goes “One, two, three, four, uno, does, tres, quarto, I know you want me, you know I want ‘cha” followed by some rather vulgar things in Spanish. Now, aside from the fact that the song is INCREDIBLY annoying, it says some pretty vulgar things, and it’s not even remotely censored on the radio. I mean, come on, this is LA. A lot of people speak Spanish. So yes, it is a big deal, when a kid with relatively ok Spanish-speaking skills hears it and asks mom what that means.

This issue came to my attention when I was with my brother, who’s taking AP Spanish. The song came on the radio, and I asked him if he understood what the guy was saying. He listens, and he says something like “I know you have a big mouth… so we can play?”, followed by “Ewww. That’s dirty.” Lots of songs totally get censored due to language/content, like Britney Spears’ song “If You Seek Amy” that’s changed to “If You See Amy” to change the vulgarity, and obviously bad words like the f-bomb are censored out, or changed to something else. That’s fine, the radio stations don’t want to get fined by the FCC. Sometimes, potentially dirty things are downplayed, as to not seem so bad. Now I’m not entirely sure about this, but Lil Wayne’s song “Lollipop” is changed too, where instead of him saying “She lick me like a lollipop”, it’s downplayed to sound more like “Lick like a lollipop”, downplaying what he’s really saying. It’s so unfortunate that every single song out there is just overtly sexual. There are so many other things you can sing about, and it’s sad that everyone only talks about that. Radio stations should definitely reconsider their opinion/ policy on content, regardless of language.

No comments: