Thursday, June 18, 2009

"Celebrate with Dignity"

Yesterday, I went to the Lakers parade. It was quite a bit of fun, but in no way did I think most people were “celebrating with dignity”. Right after the Lakers won the championship, immediately after, there was a commercial with Kobe, Phil, Derek, maybe Pau, I can’t remember exactly. All of them were saying how the fans represented the team, and how our celebrating should show other people how Laker fans celebrate, and we should celebrate with dignity. Exactly. However, I did think it was really ridiculous how the players have to tell you to do that. It’s plainly obvious that you should celebrate in a classy way.

There’s something stupid about LA fans though. About 10 minutes after airing that commercial, a small riot broke out in downtown LA, right outside Staples Center. Needless to say, it was really embarrassing, as that sort of behavior was in no way a reflection of how I celebrate Laker victories, or how other people I know celebrate. It’s one thing to loot a store and sell it for money or keep it for yourself. However, it’s a completely other thing to loot from a store and then just burn everything you stole. It was disgusting and embarrassing. I hope other sports fans don’t think all Laker fans are this way.

Unfortunately, stupid behavior was happening the day of the parade too. Maybe just at the Coliseum where I was, but I think I’m going to follow my Mom’s advice and just go to the parade route instead if I ever go again. In any case, it was about 7 in the morning when we arrived. The people in front of us were drinking beer and smoking in the line. Come on people, I understand breakfast sandwiches and coffee, but alcohol at that hour?! It’s just so sad that there were children in line with them. Other people there had the decency to go step out of the line for a moment and go a distance away and smoke. At one point, I smelled marijuana and was really disgusted. The worst part was, the guy in front of me had a joint in his pocket and was totally going to smoke it right in front of me. Gross. When they opened the gates, it was absolute mayhem. Let’s just say that some people really need to use deodorant, and people need to stop pushing. It was pretty horrible.

Anyway, I got to see the Lakers, although far away, and it was cool to be part of the experience. I learned a lot of things. First, always bring sunscreen. Second, bring a jacket. Not for wearing, but as a sun shield. Third, there are a lot of dumb fans, so be patient, or try to be tolerant. I hate to make this politically charged, but a lot of the dumb fans belong to a particular ethnic group. I don’t know why that is, but try to stay classy. Fourth, despite my love for Trevor Ariza, I think we would not get along in real life. He likes 'lil Wayne, Kanye, T-Pain, and his favorite car is an Escalade. Oh no. I think Trevor can still be one of my favorite Lakers, but hell, I'm marrying Pau instead :] Fifth, the guys are so cute in person. They’re total guys, jumping into each other, it was very good to see. Go get ‘em next year~!