Monday, September 3, 2007

old school vs new school


I can't really say that I've been watching anime very much since I was obsessed with Rurouni Kenshin in the 8th grade. Nonetheless, I still take some time out of my day to watch anime sometimes. And like I've previously said, I do feel a tad nostalgic and I've been watching old anime, the good old ones I like , for example: Akazukin Chacha, Gensomaden Saiyuki (season 1), Hunter X Hunter, Slam Dunk, Sailor Moon S, Trigun, Fushigi Yuugi. To be honest, the only "recent" anime I've seen is Death Note, Samurai Champloo and Powerpuff Girls Z (well, half of it). I don't really have much of an interest in Bleach, Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist or that Haruhi thing. A bit blah for me. In any case, I wonder if it's because those older animes are simply better, or maybe it's because I liked them when I was younger, therefore, I'm emotionally attached to them? hmm. Because I'm thinking, if its because I'm just attached to them, then maybe the experience would be different when I watched it the second time around. Not necessarily. I admit, my perception of the characters and the story is a tad different. For example, I really like Akazukin Chacha and every episode seems to follow a very distinct pattern. At the beginning, there's comedy in the school, and then eventually there's some monster who attacks, Chacha transforms in the Princess Holy-Up and defeats the monster. As a kid, that pattern was totally awesome. Now's it's a bit redundant after the 10th episode, and I normally skip the part when she defeats the monster. When I watched Slam Dunk for the first time, I admit, Sakuragi was annnoying. Seriously. I suppose it had to do with the fact I was a Rukawa fangirl. Watching it again, Sakuragi is more likeable, and Rukawa's not the only character I like. You know, maybe I like the older shows more also because those shows aren't so bloody commercialized. I am so bloody sick of seeing some Narutard, or seeing a Haruhi cosplayer, or someone who knows the dance from the show.

*sigh* I suppose I'm just biased. School starts tomorrow, so I can't help but feel some type of helplessness. Geez.

[image from Slam Dunk of the Shohoku basketball team, from left to right: Rukawa Kaede, Akagi Takenori (Gori), Sakuragi Hanamichi, Mitsui Hisashi, Miyagi Ryota]

1 comment:

Sophia said...

LOL, *pets Kirsten*